Healthy Vegan Breakfast Idea
Ingredients (makes 2 large or 4 small servings):
1 block firm tofu (14 oz)
1 chopped shallot or yellow onion
1 red dry chilli
1 tsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp turmeric
½ chilli paste
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp garam masala (you can get this at any Indian grocery store)
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup cherry tomatoes
½ cup spinach
1/4 C non-dairy milk
1-2 tbsp chopped green onion
Ground pepper to taste
- Rinse and drain the water from the package of tofu. Pat the brick of tofu with a paper towel to absorb any excess water.
- In a non-stick pan heated to medium, add coconut oil, fry one red chilli, 1 shallot for about 1 minute until soft. Add chopped tomatoes.
- Next crumble the tofu by hand into small pieces into the frying pan. Heat and fry together for another 2-3 minutes, then start adding in the spices, salt, and garlic powder and spinach.
- Cook for another 4 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed and you’re starting to see some browning on the tofu. Then you’re going to reconstitute the scramble with almond milk and cook for another 2 minutes.
- During these last couple of minutes add ground pepper and top it up with green onion.
Tip : For a more layered tofu scramble you can add any veggies you like to the mix – kale, mushrooms, red pepper or zucchini. It’s a great way to use up left overs as well! If you’re adding red pepper, mushrooms or zucchini cook them in the pan with the shallots because they take longer, and leave kale closer to the end.