As we all know that semolina is made from finest durum wheat and is an healthy alternative to all purpose wheat flour.These days you can get pasta,noodles lasagna, breakfast cereals made up of semolina flour. Incorporating semolina into your meals is not only healthy but is also satisfying and keeps you full for a longer duration.
Semolina Porridge Meal( Sooji Upma ) : is a spicy breakfast served in Indian homes. It’s a savory, nutritious and keeps you full for 2-3 hours. The sole purpose of adding spices is to enhance taste and flavor to otherwise bland semolina. You can add as many spices as you prefer.
Ingredients you need:
- 1 cup semolina
- 2 cup water
- 2tbsp vegetable Oil/Ghee (I prefer ghee it tastes better)
- 2tsp mustard seeds
- Curry leaves
- Chopped onions
- Chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 chopped green chili (optional )
- Chopped cilantro leaves
- 3 tsp Sambhar powder
- 1tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- Namkeen (optional -there are variety of these sold at the Indian grocery store; I prefer crunchy peanuts mix snack )
- Heat 1tbsp oil/ghee in a pan on medium high flame, add semolina and roast it for 5 mins. Keep it aside.
- Heat 1tbsp oil in an another pan. Add mustard seeds, curry leaves, onions, green chilies and fry them for 2-3 mins. Next add peas, tomatoes. Sauté for 2mins then add sambhar masala and remaining spices.
- Add 3 cups of water, salt and keep mixing until the water evaporates and you’re starting to see thick batter like consistency.Switch off the stove.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl.
- Serve hot, garnished with cilantro leaves, crunchy peanut namkeen.
Tip: You can add lemon juice if you can’t get hold of sambhar powder